Disclaimer   |    Site Map    |    Contact Us

Cashie River

Register of Deeds
Frequently Asked Questions Resources
What is your address?
Our mailing address is Post Office Box 340, Windsor, North Carolina 27983 and our physical address is 108 Dundee Street, Windsor, North Carolina, 27983.

What are your hours of operation?
Our Office ours are from 8:30 a.m. through 5:00 p.m. Recording hours begin at 8:30 a.m. through 4:30 p.m.

Who can obtain information from the Register of Deeds Office
Annie F. Wilson

(252) 794-5309

(252) 794-5374

Once a document has been recorded, anyone may obtain copies by coming into the office, writing or calling us with a request. A fee of $.20 a page will be required for purchase. The only exception will be Military Discharges (DD214). Military records are public records with limited access.

What are the fees for recording?
Please refer to the fee schedule or call our office at (252)794-5309.
Are there special requirements for recording Real Estate documents in Bertie County?
Yes. On April 16th, 1991, the Bertie County Board of Commissioners adopted a resolution (N.C.G.S. Section 161-30) regarding recordation of instruments affecting Real Property in Bertie County. (See Bertie County Resolution)

How can I transfer names on a Deed?
A new deed will need to be prepared. You need to contact your Attorney for additional information. After you have signed the deed and your name has been notarized, present the deed to this office for recording. A fee will be applicable. (Please see fee schedule).

Can the Register of Deeds office tell me who owns a particular piece of property by an address?
No. Our records are by name only. To find out this information, contact the Bertie County Tax Assessor’s office at (252) 794-5311.

Do I need an appointment to take my Notary oath and what documents must I present?
No appointment is required. All staff members are capable to assist you with your oath. You may bring you green transmittal letter that you received from the Secretary of State.

What are the earliest dates for your records?
Our land/grant transactions start 1722. Marriages records begin 1760 and Birth and Death records start Oct. 1, 1913, with the exception of some delayed birth records.

How can I obtain a marriage, birth, or death certificate?
If you were born, obtained a marriage license or someone died in Bertie County, you may obtain a copy/certified copy providing you meet the requirements. (Refer to Vital Records)