Bertie County History
Bertie County is one of the
largest counties in North Carolina, spanning 741
square miles. It was originally part of
Albemarle County, established in 1660. In
1670, Chowan County, including Bertie Precinct,
was cut from Albemarle County.
Bertie Precinct was finally given status of
county in 1722 when it separated from Chowan
County. Initially, Bertie County was
comprised of present Bertie County, Tyrrell
County, Edgecombe County, Northampton County and
Hertford County. By 1780, Bertie County
had been divided to resemble its current shape.
Bertie County is comprised of
fertile uplands and lowlands, with some large
swamps called pocosins, making Bertie County
ideal for agriculture. In addition, the timber
industry is key to the area. Livestock and the
growing poultry industry, which focuses on
broiler production, are major contributors to
Bertie County's agriculture base.
Bertie County was named for James and
Henry Bertie, who had purchased land
from the original Lord Proprietors.
Bertie County's county seat is Windsor,
which was established in 1766 and was
made county seat in 1774. The County
includes the eight incorporated
townships of Askewville, Aulander,
Colerain, Kelford, Lewiston-Woodville,
Powellsville, Roxobel and Windsor.
Bertie Family Crest