Disclaimer   |    Site Map    |    Contact Us

Cashie River

Tax Collections/Tax Mapping
Homestead Exclusion/Elderly and Disabled Resources


Q: What is the Elderly or Disabled Exclusion Homestead Property Tax Relief?
A. The Elderly or Disabled Exclusion provides property tax relief for qualified North Carolinians who are age 65 and over or totally and permanently disabled.

The exemption excludes up to one-half of your home's assessed value, or $25,000 (whichever is greater) from property taxes.


Tax Phone:
(252) 794-5310

(252) 794-5357


Without Exclusion:


With Exclusion:

Value of Home


Value of Home




Less Exemption Adj. Value of Home x 50% = 50,000

100,000 - 50,000 =50,000

Multiplied by Sample Tax Rate

x .0086.5

Multiplied by Sample Tax Rate

x. 0086.5

Total Taxes 

= $865.00

Total Taxes

= $432.50

Please note: This example is a comparative guide and is provided as a general informational tool only. The tax rate used in the example is county-wide general fund rate in effect for the tax year 2022-2023.

Q: What are the qualifications for the Homestead Exemption?
A: You may be qualified for the Homestead Exemption if:
-YOU ARE at least 65 years of age on January 1st of the tax year in which you wish to claim the exemption; AND
-YOU AND YOUR SPOUSE'S income did not exceed $33,800 for the year prior to which an application is made. You
 must own your permanent residence, including a manufactured home, and be a legal resident of Bertie County;

-YOU ARE certified totally and permanently disabled by a licensed physician or governmental agency; AND
-YOU AND YOUR SPOUSE'S income did not exceed $33,800 for the year prior to which an application is made. You must own your permanent residence, including a manufactured home, and be a legal resident of Bertie County.

JOINT OWNERS (other than husband and wife) who meet all other requirements may be eligible for a partial exemption not to exceed their proportionate share of the valuation of the property.

Q: What is considered part of my Homestead/Permanent Residence?
A. It includes your dwelling, the dwelling site (not to exceed 1 acre), and related improvements such as a garage, carport or storage building. The dwelling may be a single family residence, a unit in a multi-family complex, or a manufactured home.

 Q: Do I have to apply in person?
A. For this exemption, the qualifying homeowner may submit an application by mail, fax, or in person at the Tax Department.

Q: How can I show that I am 100% totally and permanently disabled?
A. You must furnish a certification that you are totally and permanently disabled from either a licensed physician (Physician Certification of Disability) or from a government agency such as the Social Security Administration. The agency must have the proper authority to determine qualifications for disability benefits. If you or your spouse is over 65 years old, you do not need to submit a certification of disability.
Q: What is considered “INCOME” and how much can I make and still qualify for the Elderly or Disabled Exclusion?
A. Income is defined as all other moneys received from every source other than gifts or inheritances from family members. Income does include money received from social security, disability, retirement and rental income. For the year 2023, the income limit is $33,800. This threshold is adjusted annually for cost-of-living.
Q: How do I provide proof of income?
A. If you are required to file a Federal Income Tax return you must provide a copy of the first page of the return. For non income tax filers, other proof of income is required. (See Application for details) Proof of income must reflect income for the year immediately preceding the tax year for which an application is made. (For example, if an application is submitted for 2023, income for 2022 must be reported.)

Q: When is the deadline to file an application?
A. Applications are timely filed if received by June 1st of the year for which the exemption is applied.

Q: Do I need to reapply annually?
A. No. You do not need to reapply annually. However, you must notify the Tax Assessor if:
-You move, sell or rent your house, OR
-You make changes to the owners listed on the deed, OR
-There is a change in your disability status, OR
-Your income increases to greater than is allowed to qualify